2nd Clue

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
LWG

Re: Post Subject

Post by LWG » Thu Mar 16, 2006 6:05 pm

sir_dss wrote:It's is starting to look like a Taurus reissue.

Hello,

Right on time dss. I thought that myself after the first clue.
What looks like the encoder could be a selector switch for any presets.
It would be a pleasant surprise if it were the case and it stayed true to the
Taurus 1's engine, however if it turned out to be a reincarnation of
Rogue-on-a-stick.........oh well.

Regards,

Lawrence

Ted3000

Post by Ted3000 » Thu Mar 16, 2006 6:19 pm

(Apologies for the world's sloppiest mock-up!)
soundcloud.com/astrospy

LWG

Re: Post Subject

Post by LWG » Thu Mar 16, 2006 6:32 pm

Ted3000 wrote:Image
(Apologies for the world's sloppiest mock-up!)

Hello,

IF the first clue was an encoder, then it wouldn't be a non-programmable device such as a Prodigy, as encoders are used with a software driven platform.

Regards,

Lawrence

MC

Post by MC » Thu Mar 16, 2006 7:09 pm

OK I got it figured out.

It's a "Star Trek" phaser made out of wood. The "knob" has settings from "stun" to "kill"

We'll know for sure in 13 days.

tick tock...

KarnEvil

Post by KarnEvil » Thu Mar 16, 2006 7:15 pm

It must be a small keyboard if the slanting panel is fixed, otherwise it would be incredible impractical to move around...

musicnonstop

Post by musicnonstop » Thu Mar 16, 2006 7:20 pm

3 octave monosynth with dual osc's!

thats where my money is... not that i've actually bet or anything.
gearlist ---
moog music voyager electric blue 3.2
nord lead 2x
electribe ea1 and er1
sonar 5.0
Mpc 1000

DirtyLarry

Post by DirtyLarry » Fri Mar 17, 2006 1:07 pm

possible source reissue.

the big knob will replace the original "big knob" on the source

i just bought a prodigy...damnit. If this is a new key synth, i will punch myself in the stomach.

good things come to those who wait
...sometimes your best defense is a good reminder of your common sense...

DirtyLarry

Post by DirtyLarry » Fri Mar 17, 2006 1:19 pm

Okay...here we go.

If this is going to be a reissue of a source...we have 3 major give aways...

one. the single data wheel/parametric knob
two. very simplistic wooden frame
three. the color blue

my money is on a source reissue...done the right way.
...sometimes your best defense is a good reminder of your common sense...

sizzlemeister

Post by sizzlemeister » Fri Mar 17, 2006 1:59 pm

DirtyLarry wrote:possible source reissue.

i just bought a prodigy...damnit. If this is a new key synth, i will punch myself in the stomach.

You can always move the Prodigy if the new Moog is something you like.

Taurus III

Taking shape!

Post by Taurus III » Fri Mar 17, 2006 2:01 pm

It's interesting that everyone interpreted the shapes as the wooden sides of a synth. I didn't think of that at all.
When I saw "taking shape" and wood, it was obvious that these shapes were exactly what you would use to shape wood, an old fashioned wood plane (a whole lot of them, actually). I'm not sure what it means, but it may have nothing to do with the shape of the sides of a synth.
bass player, also guitars, keyboards, etc, etc
recording engineer, live sound, a collector of interesting sounds and instruments.
all styles of music, especially "etherial space music" often with Indian influences, classic rock and blues.

sizzlemeister

Re: Taking shape!

Post by sizzlemeister » Fri Mar 17, 2006 3:33 pm

Taurus III wrote:It's interesting that everyone interpreted the shapes as the wooden sides of a synth. I didn't think of that at all.
When I saw "taking shape" and wood, it was obvious that these shapes were exactly what you would use to shape wood, an old fashioned wood plane (a whole lot of them, actually). I'm not sure what it means, but it may have nothing to do with the shape of the sides of a synth.
I think the screw-holes on the side of the panel give it away. I see the shape, and those holes, and it reminds of Oberheim and Sequential wooden sides right away. It's the path of least cognitive resistance.

Sweep

Post by Sweep » Fri Mar 17, 2006 4:53 pm

There'll be hell to pay if after all this it turns out to be a wooden plynth for those latex Bob Moog dolls they were selling not so long ago.

museslave

Post by museslave » Fri Mar 17, 2006 6:34 pm

I think it would be a terrible error for Moog to re-implement the largely-failed Source interface. I know the failure had a lot to do with mylar... but the problem ALSO has to do with the one-knob-for-all-functions aspect.
If you're going to surrender the traditional analog interface for a digital one, why involve any analog at all? It would be much cheaper as a company to release a fully digital analog-emulative synth, if you're going to do that. There are plenty of users today (some in this forum) who believe analog and analog-emulative are indistinguishable anyway.
I will answer my own question. Because Moog has a heritage... it wasn't the Source that rode the wave of analog resurgence, it was the Minimoog... and the concept behind the Minimoog that is appealing to those who appreciate analog is knob-per-function. The one knob was submission to the public misapprehension that futuristic technology was cooler than musical useability... I would be surprised if Moog made that mistake again.
The success at the return of Moog as a company was not "hey, Moog can make the most modern and powerful synth," but rather "Moog can use its analog know-how to create a truly musical modern analog synthesizer." Analog synthesizers are most effectively controlled (or any synthesizer, for that matter) with access to control for each function.
Perhaps Moog is going to spearhead the DIGITAL ADDITIVE RE-REVOLUTION. They're going to beat out Yamaha for the updating of the DX-7! They're replacing the parameter slider with the LED KNOB! Then, they'll not only have the market on the re-release of the most popular synth of the 70s, but also the re-release of the most popular (and wretched) synth of most of the 80s! ; )
www.youtube.com/user/automaticgainsay
www.myspace.com/automaticgainsay2
www.myspace.com/godfreyscordialmusic

martin

Post by martin » Fri Mar 17, 2006 7:44 pm

maybe it is really litereally just a boomerang. you'll throw it and you'll laugh for 5 seconds and then boom, it comes back and hits you right on the schnozzle.

:wink:

pureoldsound

Post by pureoldsound » Fri Mar 17, 2006 7:45 pm

DirtyLarry wrote:possible source reissue.

I almost bought a multimoog and a prodigy....but I was advised to wait.....That is why I say this is a synth not a pedal.....

It would be cool to have a new improved Source....However, I read somewhere, that this was an already ongoing project and Dr. Moog had some involvement with this project......At least that was my interpretation....