3rd Clue (missing?)

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
museslave

Post by museslave » Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:12 am

Oh, I WISH it was a tube... a Moog tube-based monosynth would be FABULOUS. Talk about delightfully unique and undoubtedly gorgeous-sounding.
I'm happy to see its a keyboard, too...
Now, please please let it be surprisingly affordable, fully analog, and for the love of GOD possessing MORE THAN ONE KNOB. ; )
www.youtube.com/user/automaticgainsay
www.myspace.com/automaticgainsay2
www.myspace.com/godfreyscordialmusic

pressurewave

Post by pressurewave » Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:15 am

I'm going to go ahead and guess a new Prodigy - lets say... 2 VCOs w/ continuously variable waveforms, patch memory system similar to MiniMoog Voyager, but no 3D touch surface. Similar envelopes... MIDI/pedal control inputs...

backlit panel (in amber, if that's what the light was in the 1st clue)...

all of that, or, maybe, just a single knob that reads "awesome!" and goes from 1-8.

Price... lets seeeee... I guess a bit above 2000 list.

I'm also clearing up space on my credit card, heh. Looks really nifty.

DirtyLarry

Post by DirtyLarry » Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:44 am

depending on the features of whatever this will be...I'm going to need to sell my new Prodigy along with my MG-1

fudge
...sometimes your best defense is a good reminder of your common sense...

OysterRock

Post by OysterRock » Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:05 am

museslave wrote:Oh, I WISH it was a tube... a Moog tube-based monosynth would be FABULOUS. Talk about delightfully unique and undoubtedly gorgeous-sounding.
Metasonix just relesed a tube monosynth. It sounds like sh*t, but with Metasonix I think thats the point :wink:

The problem with tube synths is that you can't get a very good range on them. The new Metasonix only has a 2 octave range.
Last edited by OysterRock on Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

sundaeclubber

Post by sundaeclubber » Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:07 am

It's nothing to do with this then....?

SCx
Sundae Club* http://www.s-club.co.uk
Moog-Filled Album "TECHNOSTALGIA"
from
http://www.cdbaby.com/sundaeclub
and in your local iTunes store

http://www.myspace.com/sundaeclub

theglyph

Post by theglyph » Wed Mar 22, 2006 5:08 am

It has a keyboard!! That's what we wanted.

Now, we can only hope that the sound kicks ASS!!

MOOG? Yes it will kick ASS! :D

Demokid

Post by Demokid » Wed Mar 22, 2006 5:12 am

I hope it has some features that the Voyager doesn’t have. Why buy a budget moog if you already own a Voyager? I wish the new sizer doesn’t have continuously variable waveforms. It is not possible to do classic pulse wave modulation on the Voyager since all three oscillators are modulated. Ok it is cool to be able to pulse wave modulate e.g. a saw tooth but sometimes (quit often) you want the classic pulse wave sound on one oscillator and no modulation on the others.

Regards
Demokid
Gearlist: Andromeda A6, Emu E4XT Ultra, Korg MS20, Minimoog Model D (incl.MIDI), Minimoog Voyager AE, Roland Jupiter-8 (MIDI), RE-301, Prophet~5 (Rev3.3 incl MIDI), Poly Evolver Keyboard, Pro~One, Prophet 08, Synthesizers.com Custom Studio-44

Jords

Post by Jords » Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:27 am

Demokid wrote:Why buy a budget moog if you already own a Voyager?
A better question would be 'Why buy a budget moog if you don't already own a Voyager?'

The most popular answer would be price...

It won't have unique features. It's closer in spec to the original Mini, without the Voyager's bells and whistles.

JSRockit

Post by JSRockit » Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:46 am

pressurewave wrote:I'm going to go ahead and guess a new Prodigy - lets say... 2 VCOs w/ continuously variable waveforms, patch memory system similar to MiniMoog Voyager, but no 3D touch surface. Similar envelopes... MIDI/pedal control inputs...

backlit panel (in amber, if that's what the light was in the 1st clue)...

all of that, or, maybe, just a single knob that reads "awesome!" and goes from 1-8.

Price... lets seeeee... I guess a bit above 2000 list.

I'm also clearing up space on my credit card, heh. Looks really nifty.
$2000? That seems a bit high. You might as well go buy a used Voyager.

Micahel Victor

Post by Micahel Victor » Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:01 am

3rd clue is down again
I Just checked in to look again and the graficis gone
Could it be the new moog time machine
what is going on.
"Oh that thing" "I had nothing to
do with that. "as said to me by
R.A.MOOG
When asked to sign my xeroxed moog source users manual.Then signed it.

Sweep

Post by Sweep » Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:02 am

Demokid wrote:I wish the new sizer doesn’t have continuously variable waveforms. It is not possible to do classic pulse wave modulation on the Voyager since all three oscillators are modulated. Ok it is cool to be able to pulse wave modulate e.g. a saw tooth but sometimes (quit often) you want the classic pulse wave sound on one oscillator and no modulation on the others.
That's interesting; never thought of that. One way round the problem would be to MIDI two synths together so you have the advantages of continuously variable waveforms and also the pulse with mod option. I'd think that's also the modern way to the modular version of the portamento effect on Lucky Man (though I haven't tried it) - portamento on one synth and not on the other, and use the two synths as collections of modules MIDId together.

If the new synth is a budget one with a classic Moog filter and the standard switchable waveforms, you've already suggested a use for it alongside a Voyager, by the look of things.

It goes to show how musicians' needs differ. It always came across to me that one of Bob Moog's great qualities was his great respect for the musicians using his instruments, and his readiness to listen to suggestions.

writeroxie

Post by writeroxie » Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:17 am

yeah i guess we caught clue #3 while it was being uploaded, that's why our original thread disappeared! we had quoted a half-written clue! haha.... i guess we need some other hobbies. poor guy cant even write the whole clue before the feeding frenzy begins :D

can we assume this is the final clue? There was no tease for any more. I'm sure we could make it through another week when the whole thing is finally revealed. Moog better launch pics/etc HERE at moogmusic.com simultaneously!

The only other things left to wonder are: number of knobs/functions, presets & it's name! Wait... That's a lot.

I think i like "Orbiter" too.
Last edited by writeroxie on Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

pressurewave

Post by pressurewave » Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:33 am

JSRockit wrote: $2000? That seems a bit high. You might as well go buy a used Voyager.
yeah, actually, was thinking about that in traffic on the way to work this morning (nerdy, oh nerdy), and decided I guessed too high... revised guess - $1595.00
Jords wrote: It won't have unique features. It's closer in spec to the original Mini, without the Voyager's bells and whistles.
Again, sounds good. The voyager is an attractive synth (actually ended up hearing about the rumors regarding this new synth while talking about buying one with a friend), but I think the price is a barrier for many enthusiasts. Given the option to eliminate things like the 3d touch interface and detailed modulation busses, maybe even a VCO (though having three and a noise source on this new thing would be hot hot hot) at a pretty nice price drop is a proven and tested method of getting the instruments in peoples hands. I think of the times I've seen/used someones rogue, prodigy or even mg1 vs the number of times I've used a Polymoog or a Memorymoog...

monads

Post by monads » Wed Mar 22, 2006 12:29 pm

pressurewave wrote: yeah, actually, was thinking about that in traffic on the way to work this morning (nerdy, oh nerdy), and decided I guessed too high... revised guess - $1595.00
Still to high :wink:

theglyph

Post by theglyph » Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:04 pm

It's confirmed! :D

http://moogmusic.com/news.php?cat_id=107

Sounds very cool. 8)

Lets just hope it's around $1K street.