Space for jacks when rackmounting

Plug in here for info tips and strategies for your Moogerfooger Analog Effects. Connect more than one for plenty of fun!
Suburban Bather

Space for jacks when rackmounting

Post by Suburban Bather » Wed Oct 11, 2006 3:26 am

I'm about to purchase some rack cases for my foogers(101, 102, 103, 104,and Cp-251). I was thinking about getting two 8 space cases. One to hold the 101, 102, 103. The other case to hold the 104 and Cp-251.

Is having a one or two spaces "a must" to allow room for patching. I'd rather just get one 12 or 14 space case but I want to break it into two for ease of carrying.

Here's what I'm looking at. Any other suggestions?

http://www.pearsoncases.com/racks/shortracks/p8s.htm

Duke Foog

Post by Duke Foog » Wed Oct 11, 2006 3:43 am

get 2 of them. i just did the same thing but i got a gator 10x12 pop up mixer case. it's got 10 spaces on the pop up part and 12 on the bottom. i've got the 101, 102 and 104sd on top and the 105 and 251 on the bottom. i also just put a patch bay on the top to help with ease of patching. at first i tried to put both racks on top but quickly discovered that you really have to have a couple of spaces on top to make room for all the cords.

Suburban Bather

Post by Suburban Bather » Wed Oct 11, 2006 1:51 pm

Brilliant! Why did'nt I think of a mixer top rack instead of getting two racks :roll: Top portion laying flat would cut the heigth almost in half.

What kind of patchbay are you using? Did it require soldering? I've really been considering getting a soldering iron and teaching myself how to solder. I need cables, cables, cables, and more cables. Which add up quick $ :evil: $

Thanx for suggesting the mixer top route. I've been looking at those for my Mackie and whatever else I get in the future, maybe a Sherman Filterbank and or both Murfs. Never would have thought about using a mixer top portion for Foogers.

CTRLSHFT

Re: Space for jacks when rackmounting

Post by CTRLSHFT » Wed Oct 11, 2006 5:39 pm

Suburban Bather wrote:I'm about to purchase some rack cases for my foogers(101, 102, 103, 104,and Cp-251). I was thinking about getting two 8 space cases. One to hold the 101, 102, 103. The other case to hold the 104 and Cp-251.

Is having a one or two spaces "a must" to allow room for patching. I'd rather just get one 12 or 14 space case but I want to break it into two for ease of carrying.

Here's what I'm looking at. Any other suggestions?

http://www.pearsoncases.com/racks/shortracks/p8s.htm
here's what i ended up doing, as I plan to have the LP sitting in the middle of those two racks once it ships here.

both racks are 12 spaces,open at the top for patching ease. also not show here (this is an old picture) are the dbx 160a, a lexicon fx unit, and a future retro sequencer. mebbe also a single rack space ms-20 filter clone, for band and hp filtering, when boxes of money fall from the sky ;)

|mf-101 - mf-102 - mf-102 |.............| blank in picture |
| cp-251 - cp251 |..............|mf-104z - mf-103 - mf-105|
| neutrik patchbay |..............| furman power supply |

kenton pro solo and e-mu midi controller = modular synthesizer capabilities, although the ring mod oscillators don't track too well ;)

Last edited by CTRLSHFT on Wed Oct 11, 2006 5:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
www.ctrlshft.com

Duke Foog

Post by Duke Foog » Wed Oct 11, 2006 5:43 pm

my patchbay is a neutrik. and no it doesn't require soldering. i still haven't tried it yet since i just got it a couple of days ago. i'll keep you posted

Suburban Bather

Post by Suburban Bather » Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:35 pm

http://www.zzounds.com/item--NTKNYSSPPL

Duke and CTRLSHFT, is the patchbay in the link above the one you are using? I deffiniately want to know how its working out for the both of you.

Thanx for the ideas on racking up my Foogers. I really like seeing how people set their equipment up.

Duke Foog

Post by Duke Foog » Thu Oct 12, 2006 4:11 am

dats da one. but you should shop around for a better price. i got mine for 60$ canadian. i'm gonna try mine out today. i'll let you know what i think.

CTRLSHFT

Post by CTRLSHFT » Thu Oct 12, 2006 4:59 am

Suburban Bather wrote:http://www.zzounds.com/item--NTKNYSSPPL

Duke and CTRLSHFT, is the patchbay in the link above the one you are using? I deffiniately want to know how its working out for the both of you.

Thanx for the ideas on racking up my Foogers. I really like seeing how people set their equipment up.
glad i could help a bit. the patch bay is great for splitting signals. admittedly, i don't really use it much now for cv, as my cp-251's do that mult thing better ;)

it's still GREAT for audio distribution, and if you have a mixer with aux sends you'll find a patchbay to be very useful. this one in particular is great. dbx also makes a similar and excellent patchbay.

check around on ebay, i got mine basically new for 30 bucks :)
www.ctrlshft.com

Duke Foog

Post by Duke Foog » Thu Oct 12, 2006 7:20 am

ok i'm about ready to sit down with my patchbay and i just don't want to screw anything up. i basically just want to be able to have all of my ins and outs on the front of the patch bay with no special wiring. i'm still abit hazy on the half normal and all that.

i know that one of them automatically connects two pieces of gear without having to do anything on the front but this is not what i want. the guy in the store said all i have to do is plug the cord in all the way. say the ring mod "in" to the first top back jack and then that would correspond to the front top jack. then i could have the first back bottom jack go the out of the ring mod and that would correspond to the front bottom jack.

does this sound right? i noticed that when i insert a plug into a jack on the patch bay there seems to be several stages of how far i can plug into. i am assuming that plugging into various stages would mean half normalled and that if it's plugged all the way it's just going "straight through" to the other side?

thanx

Suburban Bather

Post by Suburban Bather » Thu Oct 12, 2006 2:10 pm

Yea, I'm not ready for a patch bay until later. I simply don't have enough cables right now. I just know that I'll want one soon(for transfering all of the in and out jacks to one convenient location).

Let me just list everything I have now. I'm shure you guys could have a field day with how or what I can do to integrate the whole setup.

Lets roll->

G4 Powerbook running-Ableton Live 5(waiting till I get a MacbookPro till I upgrade to ver. 6, 7 might be out by that time though) Reaktor 5, and Absynth 2

Midiman 61 keystation, and an Evolution Uc33e

Metric Halo 2882+DSP soundcard(8 inputs and 8 outputs)

Mackie 1202 VLZ Pro and Event Ps8 monitors

MoogerFoogers- 101, 102, 103, 104z, Cp-251

Joe Meek 3q

Electroharmonix Bass Micro Synth

4ms- Triwave Picnogenator and a Noise Swash

P.O.S. Realistic microphone

Guild Pilot Bass powered by a Gallien-Krueger 800RB to a Trace Elliot 2x15 cab.

All I want to add to this set up is a Sherman Filterbank, both Murf's, a patchbay, and maybe a midi to cv converter.