Voyager Tutorial DVD

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
Fly Agaric

Voyager Tutorial DVD

Post by Fly Agaric » Tue Apr 24, 2007 12:57 pm

Hi folks

I have recently ordered a Voyager Solar (Mahogany) and now face a long 4-5 weeks for it to make its way to the UK. I really can't wait to get going!!

Anyway i was wondering if anyone could offer a quick review of the voyager tutorial DVD. I will be starting from scratch as far as Moog goes but have had several analogs before (SH101 and Juno 6), and want to know at what level its aimed at.

I guess that $20 for the DVD is not a big deal in the scheme of things, but I've still got to get it to the UK - I'd just like to know that its worth it.....

Thanks

Matthew

ouijasaucer

Post by ouijasaucer » Thu Apr 26, 2007 12:12 pm

I got the dvd and I thought it was quite good. There is a greater use of examples in the dvd than in the Voyager manual. The material is very well organized and full of lots of useful information. I think it would be the best way for someone who has just gotten a Voyager to quickly learn about it's features and how to use them. I went through the examples on my Voyager and it was reassuring to know that my Voyager functioned the same as the one on the dvd. There are some things that I wish could have been elaboarted upon (eg LFO clock divider) but the dvd is a well organized presentation of the Voyagers features including demonstrations of these features in use. The form of the presentation might be useful for people who would like to explain their understanding of other Voyager details on Youtube or maybe even Moogspace.

DeFrag

Post by DeFrag » Thu Apr 26, 2007 1:34 pm

How applicable to a Little Phatty would it be regarding basic synthesis & sound creation?
Little Phatty TE #1023 • Schrittmacher • Walking Stick ribbon • Korg microXL/Electribe MX/KaossPro • Sonnus G2M
MF-101 Filter • MF-102 Ring • MF-103 Phaser • MF-104Z Delay • MF-105 MuRF • MF-107 FreqBox • MF-108M Cluster • Etherwave
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

ouijasaucer

Post by ouijasaucer » Thu Apr 26, 2007 2:24 pm

I don't know if there are any other dvds that demonstrate synthesizer basics but the Voyager dvd would be a useful resource for understanding synthesizer basic particulaly since there are so many synths that have copied the minimoog structure. The sections on VCOs, EVs, and VCFs would be the most useful for general synth purposes. I thought the the EV section was detailed, well organized, and clearly showed the interalitionship between the EVs and the rest of the synth. The sections on the menu features and the modulation busses may only be useful for Voyager users. I think it would be great if Moog or other users could suppliment the dvd with 5 or 10 minute online intermediate and advanced tutorials.

electrical_engineer_gEEk

Post by electrical_engineer_gEEk » Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:24 pm

It would be cool if they combined this DVD with a Little Phatty tutorial for $20.
I'd like to see the Voyager one but cant justify dropping that cash for a synth i don't even own...but I do have an LP.

ouijasaucer

Post by ouijasaucer » Thu Apr 26, 2007 5:15 pm

There's also a good section on external audio/mixer/midi control which would have would have applicability for both the MMV and LP.

Fly Agaric

Post by Fly Agaric » Fri Apr 27, 2007 4:23 am

Thank for the responses - i'm sure i'll end up buying it. I have some contacts in the States, so maybe they can pick up a copy for me.

Thanks again

Matthew

yowzer

DVD disappoints

Post by yowzer » Tue May 01, 2007 8:42 am

It's a lot for a project that sort of peters out as it goes along. I was disappointed by the cursory treatment of the VX—he shows it and gives the same description you'd find anywhere—without actually showing how a signal, routed from one place, could affect something else (ie, for building complex sounds). I guess I had hoped for a more in-depth treatment than you'd get in the sales literature. Overall, they did follow the "keep it simple" rule, which is good, but the VX is certainly one area where a detailed example would have helped. By the end, fatigue has set in and the RME is shown and discussed in the tired, bored tone you'd hear on some sales floor somewhere at quitting time.

$20 seems like a lot to me, too, btw. And, am I the only one who finds the current moog graphics—especially the sideways rainbow disks—really really ugly and cheesy?