Bass MurF tutorial???

Plug in here for info tips and strategies for your Moogerfooger Analog Effects. Connect more than one for plenty of fun!
Magellan

Bass MurF tutorial???

Post by Magellan » Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:44 am

Hey everyone

I got a bass murf last october and so far I've played around with it a lot... But I'm still a little bit dazzled with this awesome piece of machinery. I feel like it can do SO MUCH but I have no idea how. :( I want to get its full potential!

And yes I have read the manual (nice science class there).

So far I've managed to get some quite interesting chorus-like and phaser-like sounds out of it, but does anybody know of other cool things you can make it do?

Also one thing that really bums me is that fact that it doesn't have any banks to save patterns in, or any foot switches to swap between patterns. Does anybody know if these things can be accomplished with any accessories? I know you can use the Moog EP2 expression pedal on it to fiddle with the knobs with your foot, and that you can use its tap foot feature with a footswitch, but that's not really what I'm looking for, I was thinking more of using it as a stompbox.

Any help greatly appreciated. :)

PS:

Oh and before you post anything please bear in mind that I'm a lil tech challenged (you may have noticed) but I am willing to learn, I wanna know how all this stuff works. (that's one of the reasons why I read all the manual of my murf)

And before you mention it... I know that CV stands for Control Voltage, but that's about it...
~Fraz

GregAE

Re: Bass MurF tutorial???

Post by GregAE » Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:37 am

Magellan wrote: So far I've managed to get some quite interesting chorus-like and phaser-like sounds out of it, but does anybody know of other cool things you can make it do?
Magellen,

Check out the MuRF section on KnobTweak. There are files of settings, ideas and suggestions that you might find helpful. There are a few files directed specifically at the Bass MuRF (105B), but most of what's there is for the MuRF (105). Nevertheless, this information should assist you in your quest to get the most from the device.

Also, you might wnat to take a look at the MuRF User's Manual, which has similar (but different) information on the MuRF. Get it here:
http://www.moogmusic.com/moogerfooger/? ... uct_id=117

Every little bit helps.

- Greg

Magellan

Post by Magellan » Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:22 am

Just joined the KnobTweak group (am waiting for the mods to accept me)... Will check it out coz it sounds great. Thanks Greg!
~Fraz

Magellan

Post by Magellan » Sun Apr 19, 2009 6:39 am

If anybody else wants to help too, though, I'd be more than grateful... 8)
~Fraz

analoghaze

Post by analoghaze » Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:01 am

Are you using it with a bass guitar, synthesizer.... what instrument(s) are we talking here?
Music can Name the Unnamable and Communicate the Unknowable.

'I am... everything is... changed... they're calling... your face... interwoven... who is...' Patient mumbles inaudibly to a tune (sounds like 'Thanks for the memory).

EricK

Post by EricK » Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:55 am

I think there are templates available on KT that will let you store your settings on sheets. You can use that patch sheet to document your association with other gear, what songs they are used on, etc.

I don't own either Murf yet so I can't help you out more than that.

Or you can always photograph your Murf with a digital camera or something instead of printing out patch sheets and writing everything down.

Eric
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

Magellan

Post by Magellan » Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:23 am

It's a bass.... Specifically a Rickenbacker 4001.

Patch sheets sound like a good idea. :) I usually just get an A4 page and write everything down. ._o

But I was talking more about actually storing the patches somewhere and switching between them. I guess that's impossible on MuRFs, I mean, they don't have any memory for storing patches...

So I was wondering if any accessory could be used in conjunction to make the MuRF switch patterns, like a stompbox. But I guess it's still not possible?
~Fraz

EricK

Post by EricK » Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:07 am

Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

Magellan

Post by Magellan » Sun May 03, 2009 10:28 am

So basically I can use that thing attached to the cable of a tap tempo FS-1 foot switch in order to switch between patterns 1, 2, 3, 4 etc (there are 11) with my foot?
~Fraz

matt the fiddler

Post by matt the fiddler » Sun May 03, 2009 11:07 am

no,

you use it to eihter

tap the tempo in
or freeze time.. but advance the existing patterns every time you step on it or trigger it.

you can you your own rhythms etc.
Electronic Violinist here

Magellan

Post by Magellan » Sun May 03, 2009 11:38 am

Sorry I didn't understand this:

"or freeze time.. but advance the existing patterns every time you step on it or trigger it. "
~Fraz

matt the fiddler

Post by matt the fiddler » Sun May 03, 2009 3:39 pm

so if the pattern has 8 steps, then repeats normally it changes based on the internal clock...

fast..
1_2_3_4_5_6_7_8_1_2

etc

or slower 1__2__3__4__5__6__7__ etc.

the pattern step adapter removes the internal clock triggering.. and allows stages to be moved when you trigger it.

ie .......... 12_______3______4_5______678___1
Electronic Violinist here

Vitja B

Post by Vitja B » Sun May 03, 2009 6:36 pm

Can you freeze it and use it like a filter bank???? :shock:
If this is possible then it is higher on my list!
MF-101,MF-102,MF-104Z,MP-201,PRS Custom24/10 top,Acoustic G100T,many more.

latigid on

Post by latigid on » Sun May 03, 2009 9:15 pm

Vitja B wrote:Can you freeze it and use it like a filter bank???? :shock:
If this is possible then it is higher on my list!
Yes, Pattern 1 has no animation.

Have fun!

Vitja B

Post by Vitja B » Mon May 04, 2009 4:41 am

Now,this is revelation for me!
So we have 3 filters,LPF,NOTCH,and 8 freq. of BEND PASS?
Thanx allot for this info!
MF-101,MF-102,MF-104Z,MP-201,PRS Custom24/10 top,Acoustic G100T,many more.