New Oberheim SEM!!!

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
peterkadar

Post by peterkadar » Sat Jun 06, 2009 5:02 pm

Yeah man, no worries for Moog stuff. I still can't wait for my Taurus!!!

It'd be cool if Moog, Dave Smith, and Tom all did a project together...

Ahhh... to dream.

ikazlar

Post by ikazlar » Sat Jun 06, 2009 6:04 pm

I am drooling over a new Oberheim 4-Voice... :D
The walls of Jericho were brought down by a Minimoog.

bp

Good for Tom

Post by bp » Fri Jun 12, 2009 2:39 am

I'm very happy to see this happen.

analoghaze

Post by analoghaze » Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:09 pm

website update.

http://tomoberheim.com/

I will own one of the non-MIDI units.

I've been extanging emails with Tom over the last few days.

(dying to send him payment!)

I want one.
I am waiting on pre-order info! 8)
Music can Name the Unnamable and Communicate the Unknowable.

'I am... everything is... changed... they're calling... your face... interwoven... who is...' Patient mumbles inaudibly to a tune (sounds like 'Thanks for the memory).

Bryan T

Post by Bryan T » Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:37 pm

Cool, but pricey. Are they going to be direct only?

Mooger5

Post by Mooger5 » Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:04 pm

If the new SEM´s internals are exactly like the old one´s, there´s a lot of work in there so I think the price is OK. Less so if the boards are full of SMD components wavesoldered in China...

analoghaze

Post by analoghaze » Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:42 pm

Bryan T wrote:Cool, but pricey.
.....compared to what.... DSI???

I am "hearing" September release date... no pre-orders.
Less so if the boards are full of SMD components wavesoldered in China
Not the case. I've alreday spoke with Tom O. He mentioned that the boards will be easy to mod and even mentioned a few ideas. He also stated that he is not offering to actually do mods, but it is indeed possible. I would imagine that this would not be as easy with SMT. (actually..... being an EE.... I am positive that it is not as easy)

He does not have a factory. Tom is building the units himself. I am sure the PCB and housing will be out-sourced. (somewhere in USA) He is the man who is actually putting them together and testing and then signing each one. (from what I gather)

I am already thinking of having mine put into a custom wooden cabinet. (close family friend a pro cabinet maker.) 8)
Music can Name the Unnamable and Communicate the Unknowable.

'I am... everything is... changed... they're calling... your face... interwoven... who is...' Patient mumbles inaudibly to a tune (sounds like 'Thanks for the memory).

psyhead

Post by psyhead » Sun Jul 26, 2009 5:26 pm

Does anyone have any idea if the non midi version would be able to track correctly using my voyager OS's pitch and gate out??

gd

Post by gd » Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:00 am

I am just so damn happy that Tom, Dave and MM are putting out great analogue gear that is reliable and affordable!
Mini D, P'08 ..

Mooger5

Post by Mooger5 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:56 pm

analoghaze wrote:
Less so if the boards are full of SMD components wavesoldered in China
Not the case. I've alreday spoke with Tom O. He mentioned that the boards will be easy to mod and even mentioned a few ideas. He also stated that he is not offering to actually do mods, but it is indeed possible. I would imagine that this would not be as easy with SMT. (actually..... being an EE.... I am positive that it is not as easy)
Good to hear. And it will be easier to service (and cheaper) to service once the warranty expires).
He does not have a factory. Tom is building the units himself. I am sure the PCB and housing will be out-sourced. (somewhere in USA) He is the man who is actually putting them together and testing and then signing each one. (from what I gather)

I am already thinking of having mine put into a custom wooden cabinet. (close family friend a pro cabinet maker.) 8)
Specially for the rack-mount version the price is definitely right. Thumbs up.

Mooger5

Post by Mooger5 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:09 pm

gd wrote:I am just so damn happy that Tom, Dave and MM are putting out great analogue gear that is reliable and affordable!
Me too.´Real´synthesizers are fun again. And Alan Pearlman is still alive, isn´t he? Maybe an Odyssey NexGen is in the works... :wink:

Mooger5

Post by Mooger5 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:21 pm

I like the route Mr. Oberheim is following. No expenses with R&D, just a classic, tried and tested product, pretty much what the fans have been waiting for. If the SEMs sell well, maybe Moog Music will see there is a market for a Model E.

CTRLSHFT

Post by CTRLSHFT » Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:01 pm

Mooger5 wrote:If the SEMs sell well, maybe Moog Music will see there is a market for a Model E.
I doubt it as they've already gone through the process making the Voyager OS and discontinuing it. The Voyager is close to the E as is, and it wouldn't make a lot of sense for them to do it at this point...otherwise they would have already done it, probably before the Voyager was ever even made. To put it another way, consider the new Taurus pedals coming out. They didn't just remake the Taurus I's, they made something new with more modern features to accommodate to their expanding demographic.

SEMs have already been faithfully emulated (see SEMblance,) and Tom O. coming back late into the game on his own to bring back a classic is a lot different than Moog (a smaller but reasonably popular and successful company) putting alot of time and money into sourcing and producing a bunch of Model E's V2.0.
www.ctrlshft.com

johnll

Post by johnll » Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:47 pm

Mooger5 wrote:And Alan Pearlman is still alive, isn´t he? Maybe an Odyssey NexGen is in the works... :wink:
Last month I ran into a guy who used to play in a punk band in the 80's with Alan Pearlman's daughter. He think's he's still alive. Just checked the 'net, though. According to the timeline in the Analog Days book, he was born in 1925. That makes him 84!

ColorForm2113

Post by ColorForm2113 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:31 pm

Wow 899 for midi, 749 for CV, and 599 for just the guts! That's awesome! when he said under a grand I expected 999.99 lol
My modular so far: Q104, Q106 x2, Q107, Q108, Q109 x2 , Q116, Q118, Q127 w/Q140, Q130, STG Wave Folder, Mixer and Mankato playing with Moog Voyager, VX-351, CP-251, MF-104M x2 ( STEREO!) Volca Beats and Bass, Arturia Beat step