VX-351 Questions

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
skylab001

VX-351 Questions

Post by skylab001 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:45 pm

Hi all, I just bought a Voyager and am really liking it. I bought it with the intention of integrating it into my 5U modular. I was in the process of DIYing a patch panel for my modular which would serve the same purpose as the VX-351 without the muxing and attenuation, and seemlessy incorporate into a panel on my modular. I was dissapointed to find out that I need an "output adapter" inside the Voyager. Since I have already ordered my custom panel and have all the jacks and parts etc.(except for this adapter) ready to go for my project, I really don't want to order a VX-351. I don't really understand why Moog did this other than to require you to purchase their expander, after spending $3100 on this synth you'd think it would be ready to go... it just seems strange.

I'm curious if anybody has a picture or diagram of this adapter and knows what part is on it exactly? It is my understanding that it is either a resistor network or capacitors to smooth the voltages, or it may possibly be an IC? It seems like it would be pretty easy and fun for me to DIY so that I can use my panel. Any info would be appreciated.

ra_

Re: VX-351 Questions

Post by ra_ » Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:53 pm

Hi,
Congrats on the purchase, I've had my voyager for years and just got a 351.
So I was less than pleased when I realised I had to put that part in. After calling the local tech and them saying we will need your voyager for 2 weeks I emailed moog they send the instructions.
Honestly I have no electronics experience and I opened the moog and did it myself. Its extremely easy, I'm at work at the moment and actually have photos of me doing it (a couple of mates wanted to see the inside of the voyager).
SO long story short, you can order the part for about $50 and install it yourself in about 15 min. (no soldering just unscrew the back and put the part in)
I do agree that it should come already in their after spending that cash, but it wont take long.
Hope this helps let me know if you would like the photos
Thanks

MarkM

Post by MarkM » Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:24 pm

It really is a piece of cake to install.
Mark Mahoney
http://www.reverbnation.com/markmahoney
www.cdbaby.com/cd/mmahoneympeck
www.cdbaby.com/cd/markmahoney

ra_

Post by ra_ » Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:48 pm

and its actually kind of fun opening the Voyager and seeing whats inside.
It' s amazing the amount of work in there, you quickly realise why there not cheap

skylab001

Post by skylab001 » Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:08 am

I have no problem installing, modding or creating any bits, I'm more concerned about what it is and what parts are used, do you have a close up picture of this adapter? I'll probably end up just buying the adapter, but I'd prefer to see what I'm paying $50 for first.

latigid on

Post by latigid on » Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:30 am

LMGTFY:

http://www.peff.com/synthesizers/moog/outputadapter/

So, four resistor networks, a few DIL headers and a custom PCB. Still want to fab one? :)

ronegen

Post by ronegen » Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:03 am

Made photo's of the procedure. Text is in Dutch but you can always ask if things aren't clear. Succes :)

http://ronegen.hyves.nl/blog/25652187/V ... ager/c9-d/