what should moog release next?

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.

what should moog release next

"more affordable synthesizer"
8%
vocoder
5%
drum machine
13%
modular
11%
new moogerfooger (mf style)
10%
new moogerfooger (cp 251 style)
14%
self contained poly synth
39%

Total votes: 202

EricK

Re: what should moog release next?

Post by EricK » Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:31 pm

Color,
There are lots of resources for making those DIY clones.
http://www.jhaible.de/resonator/resonator.html
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

ColorForm2113

Post by ColorForm2113 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:46 pm

Erick,
Thanks for that, I knew there had to be some clones out there. Ill have to check out the demos when I get home
My modular so far: Q104, Q106 x2, Q107, Q108, Q109 x2 , Q116, Q118, Q127 w/Q140, Q130, STG Wave Folder, Mixer and Mankato playing with Moog Voyager, VX-351, CP-251, MF-104M x2 ( STEREO!) Volca Beats and Bass, Arturia Beat step

Just Me

Post by Just Me » Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:40 pm

Here is a nice one in MU Format. There are some demos on Muffs.

http://www.groveaudio.com/eminstruments ... nator.aspx
"Music expresses that which can not be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."

Jaguarfooger

Post by Jaguarfooger » Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:08 pm

I've been thinking on the topic of this discussion for a few days as I've wandered around music stores . I don't like the choices that were given in asking us to vote on what Moog should release next (i.e., more affordable synthesizer, vocoder, drum machine, modular, new moogerfooger, self contained poly synth)

Somewhere in another discussion (or perhaps it was this one) someone said something to the effect of, "as a synthesizer company, Moog hasn't made any new synthesizers in the past few years...since the Lil Phatty). This dosn't strike me as a problem. Here's why: most of the new products that Moog has developed over the past few years are really quite innovative. Before they came out, there really wasn't anything out there quite like them. I speak specifically of the MuRF, Freq Box, Multi-pedal, and the Moog Guitar.

Yeah--Moog hasn't put out many synthesizers in the past few years...but they've developed some really interesting, fun, "game changing," products.

Personally, I'd like to see Moog continue to surprise us with innovative products that don't have many equivalents produced by other companies. In doing so, I'd urge Moog not to prioritize developing instruments that are easily categrized as a poly synths, vocoders, drum machines, etc.

With this in mind, what interesting ideas are out there for a new kinds of instruments or accessories?

Here's one to start--I'd like to see Moog guitar technology integrated into something like a Rhodes or Wurlitzer piano. Keys could have infinate sustain or interesting ADSR envelopes. Perhaps with software or MIDI control, strings could be made to vibrate (or mute) without touching keys or pedals...For example, perhaps the Pitch/Gate CV out on a Lil Phatty could send an arpeggio to the strings.

Veeger

Post by Veeger » Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:02 am

Jaguarfooger wrote:I've been thinking on the topic of this discussion for a few days as I've wandered around music stores . I don't like the choices that were given in asking us to vote on what Moog should release next (i.e., more affordable synthesizer, vocoder, drum machine, modular, new moogerfooger, self contained poly synth)

Somewhere in another discussion (or perhaps it was this one) someone said something to the effect of, "as a synthesizer company, Moog hasn't made any new synthesizers in the past few years...since the Lil Phatty). This dosn't strike me as a problem. Here's why: most of the new products that Moog has developed over the past few years are really quite innovative. Before they came out, there really wasn't anything out there quite like them. I speak specifically of the MuRF, Freq Box, Multi-pedal, and the Moog Guitar.

Yeah--Moog hasn't put out many synthesizers in the past few years...but they've developed some really interesting, fun, "game changing," products.

Personally, I'd like to see Moog continue to surprise us with innovative products that don't have many equivalents produced by other companies. In doing so, I'd urge Moog not to prioritize developing instruments that are easily categrized as a poly synths, vocoders, drum machines, etc.

With this in mind, what interesting ideas are out there for a new kinds of instruments or accessories?

Here's one to start--I'd like to see Moog guitar technology integrated into something like a Rhodes or Wurlitzer piano. Keys could have infinate sustain or interesting ADSR envelopes. Perhaps with software or MIDI control, strings could be made to vibrate (or mute) without touching keys or pedals...For example, perhaps the Pitch/Gate CV out on a Lil Phatty could send an arpeggio to the strings.
Man, you should write them! That's an excellent idea! A portable electromechanical piano with electronics never seen before. Radical.

monokit

Post by monokit » Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:50 am

Besides a LP Rack Mount Edition...i would love to see a new Moog Keytar, with LP sound...

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:52 am

monokit wrote:Besides a LP Rack Mount Edition...i would love to see a new Moog Keytar, with LP sound...
I get excited when I see a band on Letterman w/Moog kbd (usually a LP or Voyager)... even if they don't play it (!!) Paul hasn't touched his in ages.

Would be great to see a band with a Keytar player step out to the front for a solo (instead of a damned git-ar player for the 10,000th time). I keep a clip of Edgar Winter on my iPhone just to remind me of how great the 70's were. (of course I was only 10 years old then, but still...)
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!

Lizardman

Post by Lizardman » Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:59 am

I think :idea: there should be a portable voyager (no need for internal amplification, it usually doesn't turn out too well...) that has the option of being polyphonic. I like the mono sound, but I would get so confused without the polyphonic option once in a while, so I'm saving my money till moog comes out with a poly/monophonic minimoog voyager. I really hope I don't have to wait!

BrianK

Post by BrianK » Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:43 am

I think there is a BIG need for a MoogerFooger FUZZ box. Fuzz with Voltage Control. Guitarists are a bigger market than keyboard players, Plus bass players love MoogerFoogers. They would hardly be able to sell a sequencer or vocoder with all the others already out there. A CV fuzz pedal would be great onstage, and none exist.

A fuzzbox with adjustable low-cut and high-cut would let you have ANY frequency range, from subsonic rumble only - to fizzy 60s fuzz. Or bandpass midrange growl.

Imagine pedal control of gain, from clean to fuzz AS you play, no more On/Off hard transition.

Or add Fuzz Octave Down/Up, with Voltage Control of their mix.

analoghaze

Post by analoghaze » Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:11 am

They would hardly be able to sell a sequencer or vocoder with all the others already out there.
A sequencer in a CP box would sell.
I cannot think of too many already on the market.
Put a positive and negative output on it, a pair of Attenuators, multiple, and a gate in so your Voyager could trigger the steps!!!!

I would want three of them. :mrgreen:
Music can Name the Unnamable and Communicate the Unknowable.

'I am... everything is... changed... they're calling... your face... interwoven... who is...' Patient mumbles inaudibly to a tune (sounds like 'Thanks for the memory).

EricK

Post by EricK » Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:11 am

Id dig a 16 band Vocoder and Id have to have a couple of CP sized sequencers myself....provided that you could chain them together.
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:04 am

Still waiting on that polysynth...I was hoping the XT was it, but...FAIL! It wasn't. :(
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

HB3

Post by HB3 » Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:20 pm

I don't blame them for wanting to be careful and utililize their pre-existing designs for as much as possible.

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:32 pm

HB3 wrote:I don't blame them for wanting to be careful and utililize their pre-existing designs for as much as possible.
As much as I understand this line of thinking, especially in this economy, one question remains unanswered. Is there a market for this? I don't see too many people jumping up and saying, "THIS is what I've been waiting for!"
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

anoteoftruth

Post by anoteoftruth » Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:58 pm

Voltor07 wrote: As much as I understand this line of thinking, especially in this economy, one question remains unanswered. Is there a market for this? I don't see too many people jumping up and saying, "THIS is what I've been waiting for!"
I very much have to agree with this.

Not to say it isn't cool. Man, It looks wicked. But I would never buy it. It's not so much anything new at all, except for a combination of existing products all in one package. For people that have the money to burn, and want to add to a collection, it's cool... but for people like me who usually need to save up quite a bit before a next synth purchase... it's not enticing enough to be on my radar.

A poly would be though. That would be save worthy. As would LP RMe's... I would buy them soley to get myself to poly-world sooner.
Moog Voyager RME / Moog LP SE 2 / Nord Rack 1 / Microkorg / Korg ER-1 / Triggerfinger / Rocktron Banshee talk box / Ableton live / Guru / Lots of non-electric musical instruments.