anyone use Motion Sound amps?

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
namahshaman

anyone use Motion Sound amps?

Post by namahshaman » Tue May 21, 2013 4:54 pm

Greetings, moog brethren.

I've been considering purchasing one of the Motion Sound amps since they're being made again, and by the original founder.

I'm strongly considering the KBR-3D stacked on top of the SW-15 subwoofer.

The main synths I'll be playing through it are Voyager, Phatty, Virus TI, and Nord Electro (all through several 'foogers and EHXs).

Does anyone have any experience with these amps? I would love to try one out, but they seem hard to find in stock anywhere. What are your thoughts, comments, critiques, etc?

MC

Re: anyone use Motion Sound amps?

Post by MC » Tue May 21, 2013 5:19 pm

Heard one at NAMM but that was back in 2000. It did sound pretty good to me. Sorry I can't be much more helpful.
Gear list: '04 Saturn Ion, John Deere X300 tractor, ganged set of seven reel mowers for 3 acres of lawn, herd of sheep for backup lawn mowers, two tiger cats for mouse population control Oh you meant MUSIC gear Oops I hit the 255 character limi

kslight

Post by kslight » Tue May 21, 2013 7:48 pm

Never used one but always wanted one. If it helps any...I see them on Craigslist frequently for a paltry few hundred bones for the horn model...might be worth looking at used if you want to save some cash?

Just Me

Post by Just Me » Tue May 21, 2013 10:06 pm

I tried one once. It was nice. But, too pricey for me to replace my Leslies with. Maybe if I had to tote the Leslies, they would have more appeal.
"Music expresses that which can not be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."

namahshaman

Post by namahshaman » Wed May 22, 2013 11:05 am

Thanks for the input so far, everyone.

The more I research it, the more I may be interested in the KP-500SN in tandem with the SW-15 sub.

However, any information on any models of the Motion Sound amps would still be appreciated.

Anyone?

Kenneth, don't you own a Motion Sound amp?

dr_floyd

Post by dr_floyd » Wed May 22, 2013 12:32 pm

I had the KP200S and Pro3x but had to sell before a long distance move. I really like them a lot. The KP200S was powerful and a bit bland without a touch of effects, but was amazing with a tube pre and a bit of stereo delay or reverb. The controls on the top/back was sometimes an issue when stacking was necessary. The Pro3x was also great, but obviously only works well with treble-y audio sources, and I dwell mostly in tenor down to bass. I'd like to try the KP500SN.

namahshaman

Post by namahshaman » Thu May 23, 2013 8:45 am

thanks, doc.

yeah, the only real complaint I can seem to find about the 200 is that it lacks power. So hopefully the 500 will solve that. I'm just curious how they sound. Sadly there's not really anywhere to go try one out.

atkbg

Post by atkbg » Thu May 23, 2013 10:54 am

Just Me wrote: my Leslies
Hehehe. It's funny how quickly they multiply!

A note on synths through a Leslie; They'll sound like an organ. Which is great if that's what you want.

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Fri May 24, 2013 5:55 pm

kslight wrote:Never used one but always wanted one. If it helps any...I see them on Craigslist frequently for a paltry few hundred bones for the horn model...might be worth looking at used if you want to save some cash?
I've tried a KP500SN at Sam Ash, and I thought it was a great sounding amp. Bass was a bit...thuddy, I guess you could say, as opposed to booming. Highs and mids sounded awesome, though. It had ok volume, not quite as loud as I would have expected, but good enough to be heard in a medium sized venue. Hope this helps!
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

namahshaman

Post by namahshaman » Sat May 25, 2013 8:43 am

Thanks, Voltor7.

That did help a bit. I was worried about the bass. That's why I was planning to get the SW-15 subwoofer to pair with it (comes with 200 extra watts of power too), now I know for sure. Our band also has a QSC PA with 2 K12's, 2 KW153's, and a K-sub. So I would be coming through the Motion Sound Amp, and the PA.

Kenneth, don't you own one of the 200 models?

Kenneth

Post by Kenneth » Sat May 25, 2013 9:03 am

Hey, I own a Motion Sound KP200s, and I love it. The sound is crystal clear, and I know that's not what everyone's looking for. A lot of people love having a tube coloration on their tone, and you're not going to get that here. That being said, I've never been interested in coloring the tone of my synths. Playing a synthesizer through a Motion Sound amp sounds like you're running a quarter inch straight out of your synth and into your brain. Crystal clear. Plus stereo separation gives it this wide range of capability that you just can't find in other amps. I feel like each patch that I program on my Voyager has its own "sweet spot" on the KeyPro's "expand" parameter. I'd recommend it to anyone looking for a quality keyboard amp.
Moog Matriarch, ARP Odyssey MKII, Roland Juno-60, Yamaha DX7, Yamaha VSS-30

namahshaman

Post by namahshaman » Sat May 25, 2013 9:50 am

Cool. Thanks, Kenneth.

That's what I wanted to hear. ha. I'm strongly considering pairing the 500 with the sub. Like you, I'm looking for that crystal clear sound. I already have an Aux out of my mixer to a tubed Vox combo if I want to color or overdrive any organs/EPs (or the foogers, especially the 104).

Well, now I just have to save up the money. ha. Hopefully in the meantime I'll come across a used one.