Tuning problem with Voyager Performer - Help appreciated!

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
jeepyboy

Tuning problem with Voyager Performer - Help appreciated!

Post by jeepyboy » Mon Dec 26, 2005 2:41 pm

Hey Guys....can anyone sort out this annoying problem I have? (which, incidentally, wasn't there when I first got the machine, i.e. before I upgraded the OS several times).

Whenever I call up a patch/sound, it is never at 'concert pitch' and I have to spend time using the fine tune knob, which is not always easy and also a bit annoying - why can't the tuning be set to 440 Hz, or whatever? I haven't noticed any tuning options in any of the menus - am I missing something?
I basically would like to disable the fine tune knob if possible and have all the presets called up at concert pitch - I mean, this is not a Minimoog from the 70s...

I have just updated my OS to Ver 3.1 (software only), but the same problem existed when I was running 2.5. Cheers and Merry Christmas.

MC

Post by MC » Mon Dec 26, 2005 5:18 pm

Sounds like the calibration is off on your pitch wheel. If you download OS v2.1, there's a pdf that has instructions on how to perform the pitch bend zero calibration. It's not hard.

jeepyboy

Post by jeepyboy » Tue Dec 27, 2005 6:12 am

Thanks for the reply MC...hmm...I did do that wheel tweak a while back when I first upgraded the OS and didn't notice the problem until some time later, but perhaps I have to go back there again.

I'll give it a go (unless anyone else has another suggestion?).

GregAE

Post by GregAE » Tue Dec 27, 2005 9:59 am

MC wrote:Sounds like the calibration is off on your pitch wheel. If you download OS v2.1, there's a pdf that has instructions on how to perform the pitch bend zero calibration. It's not hard.
Indeed! You can also find the Pitch Bend Adjustment procedure (*Pitch Bend Zero Adjust.pdf *) on SquareWave in the Reference Pages folder:

http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/Sq ... ges%20%2A/

G

jeepyboy

Post by jeepyboy » Tue Dec 27, 2005 6:51 pm

Thanks guys, but I have 'recalibrated' the pitch wheel and my problem persists! Basically, I have to retune (using the fine tune knob) every sound individually each time I change a patch and I don't remember this always being the case.

I like to play my Moog as a solo synth over the top of my Triton (which is set at 440 Hz) - not an unreasonable practice, I don't think! - yet each time I audition a new sound on the Moog, it is (usually) out of tune. Is this normal? What it is is very frustrating!! Am I missing something here?

RL

Post by RL » Tue Dec 27, 2005 7:02 pm

Thanks guys, but I have 'recalibrated' the pitch wheel and my problem persists!
Is it possible for you to save your presets?
If yes, you should make a factory reset and reload the factory presets.
When these presets have no tuning problems you should reset the pot mappings and touch surface functions for your own presets.
Cheers,
Rudi

jeepyboy

Post by jeepyboy » Wed Dec 28, 2005 5:31 am

Thanks Rudi....however...

I have only been using presets, though how do I do a factory reset? (can't see it in the manual). What I have done is reloaded the original factory patches over MIDI (Sys Ex file) but I still have the same problem where I have to use the fine tune knob to tune individual sounds to concert pitch. OK, here's a question: Is this the normal situation? Personally, I don't think it is, as it would be a nightmare for playing live where you need patches to be at the same tuning.

I do appreciate your help, guys, so keep it coming!

RL

Post by RL » Wed Dec 28, 2005 5:49 am

how do I do a factory reset?
OK, in the MASTER menu select page page 4.4 and press ENTER.
You will see a copyright message, then press the +1 button.
Select Factory Presets, press ENTER, select YES and press ENTER.
What I have done is reloaded the original factory patches over MIDI (Sys Ex file)
Maybe it is an old preset bank, what's the name of the first preset?
Good luck,
Rudi

GregAE

Post by GregAE » Wed Dec 28, 2005 10:57 am

jeepyboy wrote:...how do I do a factory reset?
Download a copy of the Voyager OS 3.1 Menu Reference pages from SqaureWave. This two page PDF lists all the available menu commands, including factory reset and reset of other functions. A handy reference when working with the Voyager.

Find it here:

http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/Sq ... ges%20%2A/

Need the reference pages for an older Voyager OS? Menu Reference pages were originally created for Voyager OS 2.1. These pages are also posted in the above linked folder.

G

jeepyboy

Post by jeepyboy » Wed Dec 28, 2005 4:08 pm

Hey, success! I reloaded the factory patches as suggested and everything's fine again - phew! For some reason my 'Zon.sys' file, which has the same factory patches, was screwing up the tuning when loaded from my librarian. The other .sys files seem to load sounds OK, unless I load them after the dodgy zon file...which I've since consigned to the bin, byraway.

Thanks for getting me back into playing my Moog again without thinking I'm losing my mind, guys!

(Has anyone got the version 3 hardware upgrade yet? Are there loads of new sounds available for loading into memory - if so, can they be auditioned before getting the upgrade? Presumably Turnkey is the place to go for the field upgrade - any idea how much it costs?)

Cheers, Jeepyboy.

theglyph

Post by theglyph » Wed Dec 28, 2005 4:35 pm

I've been wondering if the V3 hardware field upgrade is really worth the price and the effort.

I noticed in squarewave that the issue of the issue with aftertouch may be a hardware issue. Would this require another field upgrade to change/fix?

theglyph

Post by theglyph » Wed Dec 28, 2005 4:54 pm

Oh well! I just ordered the field upgrade. It'll be nice to be able to tweak and save and tweak and save ect....

BTW, jeepyboy, according to the manual for the field upgrade procedure the 7 banks are filled with the presets for the different voyager models (i.e. sig ed., AE, RME, EB, and the in house pre's)!

jeepyboy

Post by jeepyboy » Wed Dec 28, 2005 6:16 pm

Thanks theglyph, I'll call Turnkey in the UK and see how much it costs - it'll be the usual UK dollar/sterling rip-off I bet!

I find a lot of the presets, especially the AE ones a bit too weird for my taste - I generally prefer the classic moog sounds (OK, maybe I'm a bit boring here...). Good luck anyway.

theglyph

Post by theglyph » Wed Dec 28, 2005 9:10 pm

The UK situation is a bummer. That guy from Whales (or whomever is holding Dr. Moogs namesake hostage) should lighten up.

As for the presets, I'm not a big fan of the AE's pre's either. I say just erase them all and start from scratch.

jeepyboy

Post by jeepyboy » Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:10 am

Well, I'll call the UK suppliers (Turnkey) tomorrow and I'll be well pissed-off if the upgrade is not available in the UK because of this legal bullshit - I've already had to put up with the lack of a Moog badge on my machine and a crazy manual with every instance of the word 'Moog' censored!! F@#king ridiculous, eh.

By the way, the place is 'Wales', not the sea mammal!