Moogerfooger concept: MF-106 vco/vca/eg revamped mock-up!

Plug in here for info tips and strategies for your Moogerfooger Analog Effects. Connect more than one for plenty of fun!
CTRLSHFT

Moogerfooger concept: MF-106 vco/vca/eg revamped mock-up!

Post by CTRLSHFT » Mon Sep 25, 2006 9:10 am

So, i thought'd i'd give this idea another crack, this idea has been on the minds of moog enthusiasts in this forum for a while, and figured this would really be a good way to *BUMP* the topic again. I based this concept off of the old moog modular 904a, the voyager, and murf. if moog is ever gonna put a vco/vca fooger out, this is pretty much the best angle i can think of from a sales POV.

anyway, here's my new mock-up for the MF-106:

After brainstorming the possibility of a vco-type unit that'd be 2 standard foogers (not cp251) wide, i ditched that idea as it was a waste of good rack space, and would seriously limit how many of this things people could really have around. back to the single-fooger drawing board. naturally, the Murf knobs came to mind next, as this was the only way to really fit an env AND osc section on a standard fooger template. from there, it was mostly trying to triage the knobs into most useful functionality, as well as realism. The only thing i'm not sure about at this point, is the decay knob with the "hold" feature... mostly i just wanted a way to still sneak a sustain knob in there. dunno if that works in a real application or not.

here's a quick rundown of the knobs:

Frequency: Allows pitch adjustment +7/-7 semitones, just like the voyager

Octave: Allows a huge range of octave-based pitch adjustment, going from lfo range (handy) to very high stuff, C6, C7 or so?, close to voyager.. a little different.

Wave: Sweepable waveform adjuster, voyager yaddayadda

Drive: Doubles as the VCA for the OSC, and for cranking the audio in signal

Mix: Mix between the incoming signal, and the raw oscillator.

Trigger Sensitivity: adjust this to screw with how frequently the envelope responds to the incoming signal, based on the dynamic content. cool for sputtering gated sfx.

Attack: Amplitude EG Attack. like the voyager's . (_/)--\_

Decay: Sort of a bastard child of decay and sustain in this case, as I thought it'd be cool to add some sort of gate-type function sustain functionality to this unit SOMEWHERE. ...as to whether this is something that would be doable, i'm not sure. _/(--)\_

Release: Amplitude EG Release. like the voyager's. _/--(\_)

Bypass switch: Disables all, except still allows audio input to be warmed up/overdriven with the drive knob.
----

BACK PANEL:

Audio In: Hardwired to the Osc freq, so that the osc will follow the incoming signal's pitch. Maybe this could be done via sync? By turning the mix knob all the way over to zero, you would effectively be able to run anything you like into the A/^D-\R without the osc present. This could be great for a multitude of purposes, which i'll refrain from going over.

Freq: White labels = inputs. This controls the pitch of the oscillator.

Gate: Takes +5v gate signals to open the EG.

Wave: cv control input for the wave knob.

Mix: cv control input for the mix knob. also an opportunity for ring-mod-like sounds with a audio-range lfo going in there.

Audio Out: audio output of the mix.

Freq Out: This sends out the pitch cv of the oscillator, useful for everything cv or audio related. see above, too ;)

Env Out: Similar to the output of the MF-101. A cv output based on the dynamics of the incoming signal.

Sync In: Forces the oscillator to slave itself to the incoming cv signal; that is, restart it's waveform from the beginning, each time the incoming cv signal starts a new waveform cycle. Very cool. Maybe this could bypass the incoming sync to the signal?

-----

That's all i got. i hope this happens in some form or another. in the meanwhile, i'll be waiting in line for my LP... ;)

(as always, your thoughts/opinions/jeers are appreciated)
Last edited by CTRLSHFT on Sat Jan 27, 2007 9:23 pm, edited 8 times in total.
www.ctrlshft.com

GregAE

Post by GregAE » Mon Sep 25, 2006 10:19 am

Nice Photshop chops! Your '106 idea is a well-thoughtout design that seems to combine the best ideas proposed here before.

What is the Bypass switch used for?

Greg

matt the fiddler

Post by matt the fiddler » Mon Sep 25, 2006 12:40 pm

the bypass gives such a sharp envelope that any listener with heart problems/ bad arteries would need to go in and have bypass surgery from the shock of the sound
Electronic Violinist here

CTRLSHFT

Post by CTRLSHFT » Mon Sep 25, 2006 7:26 pm

GregAE wrote:Nice Photshop chops! Your '106 idea is a well-thoughtout design that seems to combine the best ideas proposed here before.

What is the Bypass switch used for?

Greg
thanks for checking it out!

bypass would do what pretty much all the others do in bypass mode presumably; you could still use the drive function to heat up incoming audio. i'll add 'er to the list :)
www.ctrlshft.com

OysterRock

Post by OysterRock » Mon Sep 25, 2006 8:13 pm

Cool, but one thing I'd add is an envelope direction control.

CTRLSHFT

Post by CTRLSHFT » Mon Sep 25, 2006 9:32 pm

OysterRock wrote:Cool, but one thing I'd add is an envelope direction control.
yeah it'd be nice to be able to invert the eg (i'm presuming thats what you mean) with just a flip of the switch.. a knob for that function could be cool too. where do you think it'd fit best, without having to sacrifice anything or make the unit bigger? i spose maybe they could use one of those itty bitty switches like that have on the murf that selects between bank A and B..
Last edited by CTRLSHFT on Mon Sep 25, 2006 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
www.ctrlshft.com

Impossible Sound

Post by Impossible Sound » Mon Sep 25, 2006 9:32 pm

"Audio In: Hardwired to the Osc freq, so that the osc will follow the incoming signal's pitch."

Not as easy as it sounds! I think there's may too much going on here to actually fit in one case. One Mooger that's just an OSC, another that's a VCA/EG, and a third that does Pitch to CV might be more feasible.

OysterRock

Post by OysterRock » Mon Sep 25, 2006 9:45 pm

CTRLSHFT wrote:
OysterRock wrote:Cool, but one thing I'd add is an envelope direction control.
yeah it'd be nice to be able to invert the eg (i'm presuming thats what you mean) with just a flip of the switch.. a knob for that function could be cool too. where do you think it'd fit best, without having to sacrifice anything or make the unit bigger? i spose maybe they could use one of those itty bitty switches like that have on the murf that selects between bank A and B..
Hmmmm...I don't know where you could put it, but it would be possible to have one knob for amount AND direction. Just a simple inverter and variable resistor. I actually designed this circuit a few months ago.