MURF! is it true bypass?

Plug in here for info tips and strategies for your Moogerfooger Analog Effects. Connect more than one for plenty of fun!
fabrizio

MURF! is it true bypass?

Post by fabrizio » Fri Nov 17, 2006 9:46 am

sorry, can't seem to find it on the website...

is the murf true bypass?

thanks!
f
www.thisislarsson.com
www.myspace.com/thisislarsson

MarkM

Post by MarkM » Fri Nov 17, 2006 9:55 am

no
Mark Mahoney
http://www.reverbnation.com/markmahoney
www.cdbaby.com/cd/mmahoneympeck
www.cdbaby.com/cd/markmahoney

latigid on

Post by latigid on » Fri Nov 17, 2006 4:30 pm

This has been the downfall for the MuRF, at least for me. Amos says Bob was trying to make a quasi-true bypass pedal in the MuRF. That means it bypasses the "drive knob" when switched. Bad idea, IMO, as this is not how the other 'foogers work.

The problem is a large, speaker popping THUNK when the switch is pressed. Apparently, the MuRF is trying to earth through other equipment, including my speakers.

I did send mine away, twice, to try and get it fixed, but was told the large, speaker popping THUNK was part of the design.

I am told that the problem will be lessened if the pedal is placed after a buffering pedal. Like two other 'foogers? It makes no difference. Or, I could buy an AB switcher. Should I have to?

Maybe the MF106 is an AB box to overcome the problems of the MuRF.

Don't get me wrong; the MuRF is the coolest effects unit ever made, but I just don't like the large, speaker popping THUNK.

Is it just my unit?

MarkM

Post by MarkM » Fri Nov 17, 2006 5:42 pm

I never use the bypass switch on my MuRF. I use the Mix control. I never knew there was a problem with the grounding and switch.
Mark Mahoney
http://www.reverbnation.com/markmahoney
www.cdbaby.com/cd/mmahoneympeck
www.cdbaby.com/cd/markmahoney

Robzilla

Post by Robzilla » Fri Nov 17, 2006 8:27 pm

latigid on wrote:This has been the downfall for the MuRF, at least for me. Amos says Bob was trying to make a quasi-true bypass pedal in the MuRF. That means it bypasses the "drive knob" when switched. Bad idea, IMO, as this is not how the other 'foogers work.

The problem is a large, speaker popping THUNK when the switch is pressed. Apparently, the MuRF is trying to earth through other equipment, including my speakers.

I did send mine away, twice, to try and get it fixed, but was told the large, speaker popping THUNK was part of the design.

I am told that the problem will be lessened if the pedal is placed after a buffering pedal. Like two other 'foogers? It makes no difference. Or, I could buy an AB switcher. Should I have to?

Don't get me wrong; the MuRF is the coolest effects unit ever made, but I just don't like the large, speaker popping THUNK.

Is it just my unit?
You should place your MuRF into a true-bypass box, check loooper.com or loop-master.com

latigid on

Post by latigid on » Mon Nov 20, 2006 2:56 am

Robzilla wrote:
latigid on wrote:This has been the downfall for the MuRF, at least for me. Amos says Bob was trying to make a quasi-true bypass pedal in the MuRF. That means it bypasses the "drive knob" when switched. Bad idea, IMO, as this is not how the other 'foogers work.

Is it just my unit?
You should place your MuRF into a true-bypass box, check loooper.com or loop-master.com
Can I have one for Christmas?

I should hopefully have a mixer soon; the signal buffering should help.

asd

Post by asd » Tue Nov 21, 2006 1:56 pm

Do most Murf owners find the click to be pretty loud/obtrusive? I'm wondering if latigid on's unit is particularly bad with this or representative of most Murf's.

Duke Foog

Post by Duke Foog » Tue Nov 21, 2006 9:12 pm

mines' pretty bad too, so i mostly use the mix as well

latigid on

Post by latigid on » Wed Nov 22, 2006 3:46 pm

BTW, Amos said he was working on a fix, but was quite busy with the LP, I think.

redeyeflight

Post by redeyeflight » Wed Nov 22, 2006 8:17 pm

the click is really not that bad...anyway if you really hate it then put the murf and whever lese you feel like into one of those true bypass looper boxes. really though the click...at least for live performance is more than acceptable and in the studio you could simply use the true bypass lopper box.

writeroxie

Post by writeroxie » Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:16 am

there is a little 'thunk' when switching it on. i use it with guitar, so i HAVE to use the switch when i want it on.

my problem with the Murf is that the TAP pedal doesnt affect the pedals rate unless the pedal is on. so if i want the effect on for a small section of the song and i want it to be on beat with the live band i'm pretty much screwed because i cant stomp the tempo into it until its already on. so it'd be messy/offbeat for a few taps before it got on beat. i think it needs 3 taps to take affect too. i wish i could just tap-tap-tap-ON! maybe these are some things they will fix in future versions of the murf