S-trigger

System 55 • System 35 • Model 15
ProspectHillMusic

S-trigger

Post by ProspectHillMusic » Wed May 08, 2024 2:57 pm

I am currently rebuilding a System 35 that I've owned for many years and doing so gives me the opportunity to make changes to it. One such possible change would be to do away with the S-trigger arrangement. Bob Moog was a pioneer and a brilliant guy but history has shown that one thing he didn't quite get right was the use of S-triggers and two pin Cinch plugs & sockets. It would be fairly straightforward to replace all Cinch sockets with 1/4" jacks and add a simple voltage inverter to every module that either generates or is controlled by an S-trigger. Aside from eliminating the need for having two different types of patch cables this would also make interfacing a Moog modular with modular systems made by others much simpler. Of course a modular system so modified would no longer be authentically or completely "vintage". Has anyone done this or thought about it?

till

Re: S-trigger

Post by till » Thu May 09, 2024 5:43 am

I dislike the Cinch plugs. And I am very happy, that SynthWerk switched, although rather authentic, to normal ¼" sockets.
But changing this on a vintage Modular is like putting LED lights on a vintage Ford Model T car.
keep on turning these Moog knobs

Sequence:
Prodigy * minimoog '79 * Voyager * MF102 * MF103 * MF104z * MP201 * Taurus 3 * Minitaur * Sub Phatty * MF105 * Minimoog 2017+ MUSE * One 16

analogmonster

Re: S-trigger

Post by analogmonster » Thu May 09, 2024 11:56 am

I cloned a System 55 quite close to the original, meaning inclusive S-Trigger AND Cinch Jones connectors, just to see / learn advantages and disadvantages of those techniques. Comparing those to other synthesizer brands and looking at the electronic physics behind I really can't recommend staying at that Moog Standards just for authentity reasons. Cinch Jones is no technological standard, and S-Trigger work as current sink for modules like the envelope, and I saw ground pollution on the PSU rail because of that. So I recommend to change that.