Suggestion for the next OS update

Everything Phatty.
Assar

Suggestion for the next OS update

Post by Assar » Fri Apr 20, 2007 4:22 pm

One thing I really miss is LFO sync through midi. It definitely became obvious now the last OS update contained S&H. To make that really useful, there should be a LFO trig function on patch level, with values like 1/32, 1/16, 1/8, 1/4, 1/2, 1/1, 1/32T, 1/16T, 1/8T etc.
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Little Phatty TE #1045 | Etherwave Theremin
Stockholm, Sweden - - - Listen at: assar.se

eweise

Post by eweise » Fri Apr 20, 2007 6:07 pm

I second that suggestion. And could you add a sequencer/arpegiator?

rachel

Post by rachel » Fri Apr 20, 2007 8:52 pm

I want lower case fonts for the LCD display. Even my 1980's Kawai K1 has mixed case
and a few extra characters (a Yen symbol!).

rachel

Assar

Post by Assar » Mon Apr 23, 2007 10:30 am

eweise wrote:I second that suggestion. And could you add a sequencer/arpegiator?
No, not a sequenser or an arpeggiator. That doesn't belong in a synthesizer.
There are far more competent stand-alone sequensers to connect through midi, compared to what can be developed within the LP.

Keep the LP Clean, Focused and Fantastic!

Still, a LFO midi-sync would be REALLY useful and can not be provided by an outside unit! Just think of an sawtooth LFO, sent to filter cutoff and synced on 16ths, while doing a slow filter sweep. That sound makes me in love ...
:D

Amos

Post by Amos » Mon Apr 23, 2007 2:41 pm

Well I am glad to know that we are still on our customers' wavelength...

Every single one of these suggestions is already on our "OS v2" list of wanted features!

I can't promise how soon each feature will be implemented, but they are all on the table.

Thanks for your suggestions; keep them coming! :D

-Amos

electrical_engineer_gEEk

Post by electrical_engineer_gEEk » Mon Apr 23, 2007 4:40 pm

I used to be a skeptic of Firmware.....but i must say the concept of upgrades for your synth is more then exciting......it's like tuning up your car but without all the grease on your hands or cost of parts!

ludo

Post by ludo » Mon Apr 23, 2007 4:49 pm

Maybe you can put the calibration in a separate firmware in order to keep enough memory for other features ?

My aim, in addition of the aperggiator :
- keyboard splitting,
- use of Audio Input as an effect return path by disabling the normal output into the headphone,
- a fine tuning mode with real physical value (ie Hz instead of 0 to 4096).

PHC

Post by PHC » Tue Apr 24, 2007 3:11 am

I second the LFO sync if it's possible, but I would also like a LFO-Reset that would force the LFO to run from 0 every time the Envelopes are reset.

A second feature that would be nice is that the influence of the side inputs (Pitch, Filter, Vol CVs) would be applied with he Mod Wheel.

Cause there is no way of applying CP-251 signals in a controlled manner (except by turning the Attn knob on the Cp while playing which is not the best thing for me)

rachel

Post by rachel » Tue Apr 24, 2007 4:10 am

I'm not sure if LFO synch is possible because of the hardware. It might be an internal
clock that can't sense MIDI without some sort of MIDI to gate pulse hack. If the hardware
has it, then I suppose it will only be a matter of time.

Just as important, I still want to see MIDI volume control. It's the only MIDI instrument
other than my OSCar, that doesn't have it and I find it essential t to the way I record and mix.

I tried sending the LP MIDI CC 7 (I think that's the one) but it ignores MIDI volume
regardless but I can send it out OK on the control panel.

Once again, the software has to have a link into the VCA or something.

rachel

Assar

Post by Assar » Tue Apr 24, 2007 4:25 am

rachel wrote:I'm not sure if LFO synch is possible because of the hardware.
rachel
Amos wrote:Every single one of these suggestions is already on our "OS v2" list of wanted features!

I can't promise how soon each feature will be implemented, but they are all on the table.
Well, then I guess it's possible ...
:wink:

rachel wrote:Just as important, I still want to see MIDI volume control. It's the only MIDI instrument
other than my OSCar, that doesn't have it and I find it essential t to the way I record and mix.
Why would you like to control the volume through midi instead of the incoming audio signal to your DAW?

rachel

Post by rachel » Tue Apr 24, 2007 4:53 am

I like it that way..... I treat the DAW like a tape recorder. Even though I use Logic, in my
head it's a MIDI sequencer. Then when I'm done recording MIDI, it's a tape deck!

Digital Audio is one of those new fangled things I don't really understand or like much yet.
And you can't tweak a track in a DAW the same way as you can use an expression pedal
in a performance. Well you can, but......

rachel

Assar

Post by Assar » Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:02 am

If you want to keep the noise level as low as possible, you should make sure that the musical signal out from your intrument equipment is as high as possible, because the noise level from it is constant. That's why you should control the volume when the signal comes in to your recording equipment instead.

Of course, you make your own choices. But handling volumes through midi is not a very good idea if you want to maximize the sound quality ...

Helge

Post by Helge » Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:48 am

A good arpeggiator would be nice to have in the phatty :D :D :D

robles

Post by robles » Tue Apr 24, 2007 12:44 pm

rachel wrote:Just as important, I still want to see MIDI volume control. It's the only MIDI instrument

I tried sending the LP MIDI CC 7 (I think that's the one) but it ignores MIDI volume
regardless but I can send it out OK on the control panel.

Once again, the software has to have a link into the VCA or something.

rachel
I doubt there is any OS fix for midi control over volume. I don't think there is a digital link to the volume, otherwise they would have given us a volume destination for the LFO. Your only hope is to get a midi>CV converter and send the signal into the Vol CV jack.

eweise

Post by eweise » Tue Apr 24, 2007 6:34 pm

another really cool thing would be some sort of tap tempo to control the lfo, and arpeggiator if one is added. Midi is great for recording but its nice to have features that can be used in a live setting.