LP OS 2.00 for Stage Edition - get it here

Everything Phatty.
narrowcaster

Post by narrowcaster » Sun May 25, 2008 5:47 pm

Can someone tell me how crucial it is to have the latest MIDI drivers before doing the update? My interface is a TASCAM FW-1804, running driver version 1.4.0. In order to update the driver, I'd have to update Win XP to Service Pack 2 (right now it's Version 2002 Service Pack 1), and I'd rather not do that because of all the problems I've heard can be associated. So would I likely be OK to try running the LP updater under Win XP SP1 through this interface/driver, or is that a bad idea?

Amos

Post by Amos » Sun May 25, 2008 6:25 pm

narrowcaster: use the DOS version installer.
<click here to download>

Even so, I can't guarantee success if you know your device driver is out of date. In all likelihood it will be OK; the problematic situation would be if you had updated to winXp SP2 and had not updated your MIDI drivers. If the OS and drivers match, this ought to work.

narrowcaster

Post by narrowcaster » Sun May 25, 2008 7:23 pm

Thanks Amos. This combination of OS and driver has been stable for several years, so I'll use the DOS installer and hope for the best.

waxdoctor

Post by waxdoctor » Mon May 26, 2008 11:06 am

dear amos, dear moog company,

THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR THIS GREAT UPDATE!

It's fantastic!

all the best!

waxdoctor
LPSE#00882,MF-101,102,103,107, CP-251(w/o red jacks), an EP-2 as well, MMVOS #0349, mfb-502,503 & xbase888, vermona per4mer, future retro xs, sms mars/planet7; oth./digi: monomachine mk2, blofeld, clavia electro 2, machinedrum

Paulkaiju

Post by Paulkaiju » Mon May 26, 2008 8:14 pm

I went out today and bought a new Midisport 1X1 with the intention of doing this update.

I tried the windows installer and ended up hung on that "Power cycle" error.

Very hairy, I thought I had killed it.

I downloaded and tried the DOS loader and got all the way to stage 3 and it's lights went on abd it hung up.
Mind you I was updating from the 1st version software.
I turned off the LP and ran the DOS loader again and zooom all the way to the end!

So i did the "factory reset" and all the new presets came up and the arpeg is enabled on all of them and these presets are really really amazing!!!

This is beyong amazing...thanks Amos and thanks MOOG!

Dannymon

Post by Dannymon » Tue May 27, 2008 2:17 pm

Hi guys, well, I’ve had the chance to try out the new OS over the weekend and thought it was awesome and very intuitive, I really liked the way the new features were implemented, (except for the inability to change the LFO rate while the Arpp is on). However, I have noted a couple of issues:

1- This only happened once and could not replicate it, but here it goes: After I was playing for a while the LP’s Modwheel starting changing the pitch of Oscillator 2 and not the Modulation amount. This bug was apparent on all patches and after a reboot was done the problem persisted. The only way I could fix it, was to do a Factory reset and the LP restarted with the new OS2.00 and was working perfectly.

2- I read something similar on the forums, but the issue I experienced was:

- The Arpp was functioning with TAP tempo and the amount button was lit in yellow.
- Pressed the amount button and the Yellow light turned off.
- Then turned the LFO rate to change the Arpp tempo, and it did, but the filter cutoff frequency was also being moved with the LFO rate knob.

This issue I was able to replicate, although it only happened with certain patches. I have to investigate a little deeper and will post more details about how to recreate this bug.

Aside from that it is an amazing update and I am very grateful to Amos and the rest of the clan over at Moog Music.

Regards,
Daniel Trejo
------------------------------------
Litlte Phatty V1, MF-101, MF-102, MF-103, MF-104z, MF-105, Kenton Pro Solo.

Amos

Post by Amos » Tue May 27, 2008 5:45 pm

Dannymon wrote: - The Arpp was functioning with TAP tempo and the amount button was lit in yellow.
- Pressed the amount button and the Yellow light turned off.
- Then turned the LFO rate to change the Arpp tempo, and it did, but the filter cutoff frequency was also being moved with the LFO rate knob.
I think I have figured this out - it is due to Pot Mapping. That's also why only certain patches are affected. Find one of the patches which behaves this way, go to Master->Advanced Preset, and scroll to Pot Mapping... check the Pot Mapping settings for the Modulation section and I suspect you will find that the Mod pot is mapped to filter cutoff. Turn off Pot Mapping for the Mod pot and save the preset.

Why this is happening: It's a whole new layer of confusion due to Tap Tempo, and due to the limited number of buttons and lights which we are using for more and more features now.

The way Pot Mapping works is this: it can be either enabled or not enabled for each of the panel sections (modulation, oscillators, filter, envelopes) - so there are four possible mappings. If Pot Mapping is enabled for a given section, you turn it on by pressing whichever button in that section is already lit. What happens is that the button goes dark, leaving no buttons illuminated in that panel section. This only happens when Pot Mapping is active, so you know if no buttons in a section are lit that the knob for that section is doing whatever you programmed it to do via Pot Mapping. This is a cool and useful thing.

Now, here's where it gets confusing. When you press and hold the LFO RATE button until it starts blinking, that's how you activate Tap Tempo. It doesn't matter whether the LFO RATE button or the AMOUNT button was previously active. If the AMOUNT button was lit and you press and hold LFO RATE, you go into Tap Tempo mode, which means that the LFO RATE button will start blinking... note that the AMOUNT button is still lit. At this moment, the Modulation knob should still be adjusting the modulation Amount just as you would expect. This is independent of the fact that Tap Tempo is active.
OK, so let's imagine that you are in this situation, and the preset you're using has Pot Mapping enabled for the Modulation section. the AMOUNT button is lit; you press the AMOUNT button again and it stops being lit. If you were *not* in Tap Tempo mode, it would be obvious that Pot Mapping was active because there would be no buttons lit in the Modulation section. Because Tap Tempo is active, the LFO RATE button is now blinking, so it is no longer obvious that you've activated Pot Mapping. This is an unforseen confusion that is due to us addding new features to the same user interface. It was tricky to make it only as confusing as it is, and not more so! :lol:

This also reminds me, if you want to be able to adjust the LFO Rate and the Arpeggiator Rate at the same time, you can use Pot Mapping to your advantage... think of something you aren't going to be tweaking at the exact same instant (envelopes perhaps?), and use Pot Mapping to assign that pot to LFO Rate. In this example you'd set up Pot Mapping for the EGR pot and assign it to LFO Rate/CC 3... then you can adjust the arpeggiator rate using the Modulation pot as normal, and activate Pot Mapping for the Envelopes section and use that pot to tweak your LFO Rate. Need to adjust the envelope times? just turn off Pot Mapping (press any of the Envelope section buttons) and tweak away. Press the same, active button in the Envelopes section to switch back to Pot Mapping control.

Cheers,

Amos

Maskin

Post by Maskin » Tue May 27, 2008 6:51 pm

The Pot Mapping switching is brilliant! :D
Never tried it though..
[size=75]"I like to play with electronic noise makers. I hope someone wants to listen, and if not, I'll still be up at 3 am making sequences in the dark, drinking coffee, and burning expensive incense." [i]Rod Modell[/i][/size]

Dannymon

Post by Dannymon » Tue May 27, 2008 7:16 pm

Wow, good thing you figured it out...I couldn't find a logical reason and It was driving me crazy!.

The pot mapping Idea for the LFO rate is excellent! I always thought the pot mapping feature of the Phatty was great, but never paid too much attention to it, until now. I guess the inability to change the LFO rate can no longer be considered a flaw, because there is a solution already built into the LP ....POT Mapping!

a couple of questions?

How many notes at a time will be recognized by the arpeggiator?

All of this discussion about implementing new features without many physical buttons available, makes me wonder about the possibility of a built in step sequencer. How would you implement this feature on top of what's already built? Would the LP enter into a mode where each of the 4 knobs control the pitch of each step?.

Regards,
Daniel Trejo

Amos

Post by Amos » Tue May 27, 2008 10:27 pm

Dannymon wrote:How many notes at a time will be recognized by the arpeggiator?
Potentially hundreds, I think. I believe it uses the regular keyboard note buffer, which is quite large.
Dannymon wrote:All of this discussion about implementing new features without many physical buttons available, makes me wonder about the possibility of a built in step sequencer. How would you implement this feature on top of what's already built?
Well, it's complicated, obviously. :D I was thinking about a mode which uses the lower line of the LCD to display the current and maximum number of steps in the sequence, like STEP 1 OF 16. This would update per step and you could enter notes a step at a time. Then play back the sequence and transpose it by playing the keyboard. There might be an alternate mode where instead of transposing you are "punching in" different notes while the sequence is running. It's all just an idea, for now...

theglyph

Post by theglyph » Tue May 27, 2008 11:09 pm

Dannymon wrote:How many notes at a time will be recognized by the arpeggiator?
With the arp active, hold the LFO RATE button until it flashes (tap tempo) and tap the button as quickly as possible to get the bpm up to roughly 800-900 bpm. Then press as many keys as possible and hold!!

Amos pointed out that various glide and ENV settings at these tempos can make the arp very interesting! He's right 8)

foogermooger

Post by foogermooger » Wed May 28, 2008 8:39 am

One thing that annoys me with the Phatty, and this is from buying it new in Nov 07 to now..is that when i change presets and start to move any of the knobs..like filter cut off, release or anything..well the lights dont respond quick enough..they change position with the preset change..and try turn em they can jump about a bit to start with.......Ive never tried to update anything on the Phatty but it would be great if this update was to fix that for me.......Its my only gripe about a beautiful synth

Happy birthday Bob...just bought ur Voyager RME today :D

Amos

Post by Amos » Wed May 28, 2008 12:20 pm

foogermooger wrote:well the lights dont respond quick enough..they change position with the preset change..and try turn em they can jump about a bit to start with.......
Hey there!

Two things; first, this update should make the LP respond a little quicker on patch changes. Second, what you're describing sounds like it's the "analog mode" setting, which affects how the knobs respond when they are physically in a different position than the preset value. It sounds like you've never experimented with this, but there are three modes available. The default mode is called TRACK and it does "jump around a bit," in that it tries to do a smooth sort of averaging as you turn the knob, and it eventually "catches up" to the real knob position. If you don't like this so much, try one of the other two modes, SNAP and PASS_THRU... SNAP mode instantly jumps to the real knob position as soon as you move the knob (this is how the Voyager behaves) and PASS_THRU mode does nothing until you turn the knob to match the preset value, and then it goes "live" with the real pot value matching the knob position.

You will find these options on the LP Master menu, under "analogue mode."

Cheers,

Amos

Dannymon

Post by Dannymon » Wed May 28, 2008 12:21 pm

The reason I am asking about the maximum number of notes is because I noted that when I play a 3 note chord, with the pattern set to ORDER. The resulting rhythm has a 3/4 time signature, with a 4 note chord the resulting rhythm will have a 4/4 signature, with a 5 note chord it would be 5/4, and so on…..But after a too many notes are added I don’t know which is the resulting time signature.

I tried playing all of the black notes with my arm and I get a very cool pattern, but I can’t tell if all of the notes I pressed are being included in the arpeggiation, and I am also unable to determine if I play 12 notes at a time, will the resulting rhythm be 12/4 or 12/3.

I know the arpeggiator is fairly simple to use, but it would be cool if the folks over at Moog Music could provide an addendum to the manual that solely focuses on the arpeggiator and its behavior in a more detailed fashion.

Best regards,
Daniel Trejo

foogermooger

Post by foogermooger » Wed May 28, 2008 1:31 pm

Amos wrote:
foogermooger wrote:well the lights dont respond quick enough..they change position with the preset change..and try turn em they can jump about a bit to start with.......
Hey there!

Two things; first, this update should make the LP respond a little quicker on patch changes. Second, what you're describing sounds like it's the "analog mode" setting, which affects how the knobs respond when they are physically in a different position than the preset value. It sounds like you've never experimented with this, but there are three modes available. The default mode is called TRACK and it does "jump around a bit," in that it tries to do a smooth sort of averaging as you turn the knob, and it eventually "catches up" to the real knob position. If you don't like this so much, try one of the other two modes, SNAP and PASS_THRU... SNAP mode instantly jumps to the real knob position as soon as you move the knob (this is how the Voyager behaves) and PASS_THRU mode does nothing until you turn the knob to match the preset value, and then it goes "live" with the real pot value matching the knob position.

You will find these options on the LP Master menu, under "analogue mode."

Cheers,

Amos
Thanks Amos, that has helped me by changing the analog mode..however i still get the inital jump when i first turn a knob (ex filter cut off) when changing presets...once it jumps to its place its fine i can turn it back and forth all day and its pretty instant...

Going to attempt to update the OS tonight.

Kind Regards

S