Minimoog Voyager XL
Moog Music is incredibly honored that The Minimoog Voyager XL was voted Best Keyboard/Synthesizer by the readers of Sound On Sound magazine.
Minimoog Voyager XL
100% Analog Sound Engine
The MINIMOOG VOYAGER XL Synthesizer is a monophonic analog performance and production synthesizer. Based on the Minimoog Voyager sound engine, it incorporates virtually all of the sound resources and functions of the original Minimoog Model D and Voyager, with the addition of a number of exciting features from Moog's modular synthesizer legacy.
61-Note Velocity Sensitive Keyboard with after-pressure. Identical to the Voyager 44-note keyboard.
A 500mm Ribbon Controller is located on the middle wooden rail of the Voyager XL. It's center-point is lined up with 'middle-C' of the 61-note Keyboard. Outputs are sampled and available as CV-OUT (-5V to +5V) and GATE-OUT (0V to +5V).
(20) Control Voltage output
- Keyboard Pitch (w/ internal trim to calibrate to 1 V/Octave)
- Keyboard Velocity
- Keyboard Afterpressure
- Touch Surface X
- Touch Surface Y
- Touch Surface A (area)
- Pitch Bend Wheel
- Mod Wheel
- MOD 1 signal (signal at MOD 1 input)
- MOD 2 signal (signal at MOD 2 input)
- LFO triangle wave
- LFO square wave
- Mod Wheel Mod Buss output
- Pedal/On Mod Buss output
- Filter Envelope
- Volume envelope
- Sample and Hold Step
- Sample and Hold Smooth
- Ribbon Controller CV Output (-5V to +5V)
(3) Gate outputs
- Keyboard Gate
- Touch Surface Gate
- Ribbon Controller Gate Output
(3) 4-way Mults (top jack is ring-powered)
(10) Control Voltage Inputs
- Envelope Rate CV (-5V to +5V) Ring-Powered
- OSC Pitch CV (adj. to 1V/Octave) (-5V to +5V) Ring-Powered
- OSC Wave CV (all three osc. affected) ( 0V to +5V) Ring-Powered
- FILTER Cutoff CV (-5V to +5V) Ring-Powered
- VCA Volume CV ( 0V to +5V) Ring-Powered
- VCA Pan CV (-2.5V to +2.5V) Ring-Powered
- LFO Rate CV (-5V to +5V) Ring-Powered
- MOD Mod1 CV ( 0V to +5V) Ring-Powered
- MOD Mod2 CV ( 0V to +5V) Ring-Powered
- S&H CV (-5V to +5V) Ring-Powered
(4) Gate Inputs
- ENV Release ON/OFF (0V OFF, +5V ON)
- ENV Gate Input (0V OFF, +5V ON)
- LFO Sync ON/OFF (0V OFF, +5V ON)
- S&H Gate Input (0V OFF, +5V ON) No footswitch input
(2) Active Attenuators
Active Attenuators are identical to the VX-352 attenuators with the following difference:
CHANNEL 1 is normalled to LFO 2 output. So, if nothing is connected to the Channel 1 input jack, the output of Channel 1 will be the attenuated version of the LFO 2 output.
CHANNEL 2 is normalled to RIBBON output. So, if nothing is connected to the Channel 2 input jack, the output of Channel 2 will be the attenuated version of the RIBBON controller.
EXPRESSION PEDALS can be connected to the Attenuator inputs (i.e. they are ring-powered inputs).
AMOUNT controls gain of -1 (CCW) to 1 (CW). Thus, the attenuators can create an inverted version of the waveform.
OFFSET control allows you to add a DC voltage of -5V to +5V to the input signal. The Attenuator output will be clipped to approximately +/-10V.
- Inputs 1 and 2 can be attenuated via front-panel knobs
- Inputs 1 and 3 can be controlled by Expression Pedals (i.e. ring-powered)
- Two output CV's (+) and (-)
- DC offset can be added to signal via OFFSET knob
- Overall output of MIXER can be adjusted via the MASTER knob
RISE and FALL time constants are adjustable from 1 millisecond to 1 second (middle is 100 millisecond).
A MIDI-syncable second LFO source has been added to the Voyager XL. The default frequency range is 0.02Hz (50 seconds) to 20Hz (0.05 seconds). This range was made to augment the current Voyager LFO which does not go slow-enough for some very slow modulations.
INPUTS: LFO 2 can be
- Free-running (adjusted by the RATE knob on the front panel)
- MIDI SYNC from external MIDI clock
- Directly CLOCKED from a GATE CV via the front panel CLOCK jack
- Controlled via external CV or Expression Pedal via the front panel RATE CV jack
OUTPUTS: LFO 2 has two complementary LFO outputs labeled (+) and (-). In default mode, these are the same waveform 180 degrees out of phase.
Available front-panel waveforms:
- S&H SMOOTH
Power input accepts a standard power cable. The Minimoog Voyager XL works from 100-250 VAC, 50-60 Hz.
Designed in celebration of the 40th anniversary of the Minimoog, the Minimoog Voyager XL is a sonic powerhouse that pays homage to important milestones in the Moog synthesizer legacy. It starts with the heart of a Minimoog Model D. Fat oscillators and warm Moog filters give it that unmistakable Moog sound and the rugged construction and intuitive user interface design immediately tells you that you’re playing a high-quality musical instrument. From the current Voyager lineage, the XL inherits a 100% analog signal path with stable oscillators, patch storage, touch surface, pot mapping and extensive MIDI control functionality. To all this, add a ribbon controller and 61 note keyboard and you have a monster analog monosynth built on a 40 year legacy of sonic exploration.
10th Anniversary Minimoog Voyager
We'd like to extend a heartfelt thank you to our exceptional customers for allowing our small company to thrive while staying true to our ideals.
Three generations of Moog shared the stage at Moogfest Saturday night to celebrate the third annual Moog Innovation Award. Herb Deutsch (Friend and collaborator of Bob Moog) and Mike Adams (President of Moog Music) presented Thomas Dolby with a Minimoog Voyager XL in honor of his innovative achievements.
Moog Music, Moogfest, and the Bob Moog Foundation are pleased to announce this year’s panels, offering attendees an opportunity to fully immerse themselves in the confluence of technology and creativity that is the world of Bob Moog.
MATTHEW DEAR (Moogfest Edition)
Moogfest Alumni Matthew Dear stepped into the Moog Sound Lab to re-imagine the song "Earthforms" from his LP "Beams".